Monday, June 28, 2010

Bringing balance

This afternoon I practiced the first in the Ashtanga series with Jennifer.
It's the first time this class is offered.
It's not my first time doing Ashtanga.  
I practiced for a bit in 2006.   I went to classes and tried to practice at home.   My monkey-mind would not take it.  I didn't understand the dedication to the same postures, same sequence, etc.  I thought "this is going to be boring."  I moved on to Vinyasa.  We move.  We move a lot.  Breath and movement.   I thought "yeah, this is what I want.  I can't be bored here."
As I practiced today and I had to modify a lot because of a knee issue.  As I went into one side, modified, I then went to do the other side and realized that if I didn't modify as well on the other side that I might be overdeveloping one side, going deeper in to one side and therefore bringing further imbalance to my body.
Hmmmm.....
I then thought of what I was doing and the point of the practice that I was doing.  To bring balance.  The description of the class is Yoga Chikitsa, which means yoga therapy, realigns the spine, detoxifies the body, and builds strength, flexibility and stamina.  So if I'm this class, I'm here to heal.  
Still boring???  I don't think so.  There's the intention.  There's the reason.  That's the practice.  
So I'll be modifying...and practicing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment