Wednesday, March 16, 2011

What can I contribute?

With the past, I have nothing to do; nor with the future.  I live now.  ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

 There is much going on in the world today.  It can be overwhelming sometimes the amount of tragedy and injustice that people are experiencing.  It can seem at times that there's a bad side and that the bad side is winning.

I can't conjecture the reasons behind if any for some of the problems.  What I mean by that is that I can't say that Mother Nature is having her wrath or that people are filling their karma or the evil of prior governments and decisions are making life miserable now. The blame game has gone on for as long as I've been alive and even before then.  Whether it's the devil or karma, "wrong actions" or choices, there's always a searching for some reasoning, some answers.  And sometimes there is none. 

Now is the time that matters.  Now is the time to stay in the present moment.  What is it that I can do?  What can I contribute?  What can I do to help now?  My opinion, my thoughts, the reasoning, the answers, all are irrelevant now.  This is the only time I have to do something.  Whether that something is different or necessary, those are judgments.  Am I contributing to a greater good?  Again, a judgment.  Are my actions helping someone, that is the important one.  And if I am aware, awake and alive in the present moment, I will be able to answer all according to the circumstances and reasoning of the moment.  

Let us not look back in anger, nor forward in fear, but around in awareness.  ~James Thurber

No comments:

Post a Comment