Saturday, April 30, 2011

27/28/29 April is National Poetry Month - today is the last day

There is something really amazing about finishing something that you didn't think you could to.  I am letting my last poem come in this evening.  But I am finding inspiration everywhere, which says "write, write, write".

27
Twenty-seven
An age in which I discovered myself again.
Decided that certain things were in
and certain things were out.
In
art
creativity
spirituality
divorce
Out
Lies
Covering up
Settling for
Other people's opinions of me
In
Ballet
running
yoga
acting
Out
soda
bad food
bad ideas
bad relationships
The journey didn't end there but it certainly began again.

28
If I could tell you how hot you are right now
Set soul on fire, burnt the candle to the wick
melt wax hurt bad but so, so good
I only wish you would believe me.

29
This is the last of an era
the end of a long road of unacceptance, unforgiveness and condemnation
of self, others, world
It's not enough to scream out the problem, point the finger, rage against the machine, step up to the plate,
show them how it's done
if your screams are drowning out your ideas
Softer
Closely
Understanding
Relationship
Empathy
Compassion
It's ok you're angry
I'm angry too
But it doesn't help.
If it did, wouldn't things be different now
Minds change not because stiff boards break the bounds of ignorance
but because something softened their rigid ways of thinking
and showed them a world outside of the boxed walls
and into possibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment